Address : Division of Advanced Nuclear Engineering, Engineering Building I, Pohang University of Science and Technology 77 Cheongam-Ro, Nam-Gu, Pohang, Gyeongbuk, 790-784, Republic of Korea
Email : email@example.com
Phone : +82-54-279-9563
Office Location : Engineering Building I (Rm. 415-2)
Homepage : http://dane.postech.ac.kr/
● Development of metal and radioactive wastes isolation and immobilization techniques
● Performance assessment of low-level radioactive waste repository
● Nuclear wastes forms development and testing
● Reactive transport modeling of radionuclides and metals coupled with biogeochemical reactions
● X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS) and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) for sorption and desorption studies of metals and radionuclides at the soil/water interface
● Rate and mass transfer studies of contaminants by earth materials.
● Geochemical surface complexation modeling and the studies of metal complexation and speciation affecting on bioavailability and toxicity
● Pore structure and diffusion measurements using X-ray micro-tomography (XMT)
● Reclamation and remediation of acid mine drainage (AMD)
● Deep geological CO2 sequestration and geochemical reaction model
Awards and Honors
● Recipient of the 2009 DOE-Office of Science Outstanding Mentor Award, 2009
● Listed in the 2009 Edition of Who’s Who in America (Marquis), 2009
● Recipient of George B. and Jane C. Maxey Award, Desert Research Institute, 2001
● Recipient of Geological Society of America research grants, 2000
● Recipient of Nevada Medal fellowship, 1998
● Recipient of Korea government scholarship, 1995 – 1998
● The reviewer’s committee member of Nuclear Engineering and Technology in KNS (the Korean Nuclear Society), 2008-2009.
● The reviewer member of Environmental Science and Technology, Journal of Hazardous Materials, Applied Geochemistry, Applied Clay Science, Chemosphere, Soil Science Society of America Journals, 2002-present.
1. Secondary wastes treatment (Tc removal by goethite precipitates). EM-21, Task leader with Joseph Westsik, $350,000 per year (2009/10 – 2012/09)
2. Effects of Pore Structure Change and Multi-Scale Heterogeneity on Contaminant Transport and Reaction Rate Upscaling: DOE-ERSP, CoPI with Brent Lindquist (PI at SUNY), $150,000 per year (2009/10 – 2012/09).
3. Release of aged contaminants from weathered sediments: DOE-ERSP, CoPI with Jon Chorover (PI at University of Arizona), $85,000 per year (2008/10 – 2011/09).
4. U-transport in 300 area sediments: Fluor S&T program, Task leader with John Zachara (PM), $100,000 (2007/10 – 2008/9).
5. Uranium desorption modeling: CH2M Hill (Tank farm vadose zone project), task leader, $125,000 (2007/10 – 2008/9).
6. Electrical Resistivity Correlation to Vadose Zone Sediment and Pore-Water Composition for the BC Cribs and Trenches Area: Fluor Hanford Inc., task leader for Geochemistry laboratory analysis with Jeff Serne (PM), $700,000 (2007/10 – 2008/9)
7. Coupling sorption to weathering during reactive transport: DOE-ERSP, CoPI with Jon Chorover (PI in University of Arizona), $100,000 per year (2006/10 – 2008/09).
8. Hanford vadose zone soil chemistry_U mobility: CH2M Hill Hanford Group, PI, $100,000 (2006/10 – 2007/09).
9. 300 Area limited field investigation: DOE ORP, CoPI with Ron Smith (PI in PNNL), $240,000 (2005/10 – 2007/09).
10. UP/ZP-1 sediment characterization and batch U-Kd analysis: Fluor Hanford Group, task leader, $75,000 (2005/10 – 2006/9).
11. Integrated disposal facility (IDF)_Uranium tasks: CH2M Hill Hanford Group, PI, $260,000 (2004/10-2006/09).
1. Um W, JP Icenhower, CF Brown, RJ Serne, Z Wang, CJ Dodge, and AJ Francis. 2010.
“Characterization of uranium-contaminated sediments from beneath a nuclear waste storage
tank from Hanford, Washington: Implications for contaminant transport and fate” Geochimica
et Cosmochimica Acta, 74, 1363-1380.
2. Um W, RJ Serne, Z Wang, CF Brown, BD Williams, CJ Dodge, and AJ Francis. 2009.
“Uranium Phases in Contaminated Sediments below Hanford’s U Tank Farm” Environmental
Science and Technology 43, 4280-4286.
3. Um W, RJ Serne, GV Last, RE Clayton, and ET Glossbrenner. 2009. “The effect of gravel size
fraction on the distribution coefficients of selected radionuclides” Journal of Contaminant
Hydrology 107: 82-90.
4. Cai R., WB Lindquist, W Um, KW Jones. 2009. “Tomographic analysis of reactive flow induced pore structure changes in column experiments” Advances in Water Resources, 32, 1396-1403.
5. Um W, RJ Serne, CF Brown, and K Rod. 2008. “Uranium (VI) sorption on iron oxides in
Hanford Site sediment: Application of a surface complexation model” Applied Geochemistry
6. Um W, RJ Serne, CF Brown, and GV Last. 2007. “U(VI) Adsorption on 200-UP-1 Aquifer
Sediments at the Hanford Site” Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 93: 255-269.
7. Shin, Y. GE Fryxell, W Um, K Parker, SV Mattigod, and R Skaggs. 2007. “Sulfur-
Functionalized Mesoporous Carbon” Advanced Functional Materials 17: 2897-2901.
8. Um W, RJ Serne, and KM Krupka. 2007. “Surface Complexation Modeling of U(VI)
Adsorption to Hanford Sediment with Varying Geochemical Conditions” Environmental
Science and Technology 41 (10): 3587-3592.
9. Um W, S Mattigod, RJ Serne, GE Fryxell, DH Kim, and LD Troyer. 2007. “Synthesis of
nanoporous zirconium oxophosphate and application for removal of U(VI)” Water Research
10. Um W and RJ Serne. 2005. “Sorption and Transport Behavior of Radionuclides in the
Proposed Low-Level Radioactive Waste Facility at the Hanford Site, Washington”
Radiochimica Acta 93(1): 57-63.
11. Um W, RJ Serne, SB Yabusaki, and AT Owen. 2005. “Enhanced radionuclide
immobilization and flow path modifications by dissolution and secondary precipitates”
Journal of Environmental Quality 34(4): 1404-1414.
1. Um W, J Zachara, C Liu. “U(VI) desorption from capillary fringe sediments” Presented in
Goldschmidt conference, Knoxville, Tennessee, June 13-18, 2010.
2. Um W, K Rod, M Flury, S Choi, J Choi. “The effects of secondary precipitates on transport of
strontium and cesium with varying water contents at the Hanford Site” Presented in Migration
conference, Kennewick, WA, September 20-25, 2009.
3. Icenhower JP, W Um, CF Brown, RJ Serne, Z Wang, CL Dodge, AJ Francis. “Beyond
micropores: The search for contaminant uranium outside of lithic fragments at Hanford,
Washington” Presented in Migration conference, Kennewick, WA, September 20-25, 2009.
4. Chang H, W Um, K Rod. “Release mechanisms of strontium and cesium from contaminated
Hanford sediment under saturated and unsaturated column conditions” Presented in Migration
conference, Kennewick, WA, September 20-25, 2009.
5. Williams B, W Um, CF Brown, Z Wang. “Uranium contamination of vadose zone sediments
from the Hanford Site 241-U single shell tank farm, Washington, USA” Presented in
Migration conference, Kennewick, WA, September 20-25, 2009.
6. Um W, CF Brown, RJ Serne, Z Wang, BD Williams. “Different uranium phases on
contaminated sediments” Presented in 7th Washington Hydrogeology Symposium, Tacoma,
WA, April 28-30, 2009.
7. Brown CF, W Um, J Serne. “Uranium contamination in the 300 area: emergent data and their
impact on the source term conceptual model” Presented in 7th Washington hydrogeology
symposium, Tacoma, WA, April 28-30, 2009.
8. Um W and J Choi. 2008. “Uranium contamination at the Hanford Site” Presented in Korean
Society of Soil and Groundwater Environment conference, POSTECH, Pohang, Korea,
October 9-10, 2008.
9. Um W. 2008. “Remediation technology for heavy metals and uranium in USA” Presented in
International symposium on remediation of abandoned mines, KIST Gangneung Institute,
Korea, October 7-9, 2008.
10. Um W, CF Brown, RJ Serne, Z Wang, CJ Dodge, and AJ Francis. 2008. “Uranium surface
species on BX tank farm sediments at the Hanford Site” Presented in 235th ACS national
meeting, New Orleans, LA, April 6-10, 2008.
11. Um W, RJ Serne, and CF Brown. 2007. “Application of Surface Complexation Modeling
to Uranium(VI) Sorption on Hanford Sediments” Presented in 6th Washington Hydrogeology
Symposium, Tacoma, WA, May 1-3, 2007.
12. Valenta M, W Um, and RJ Serne. 2007. “Macroscopic Investigation of Different Sorption
Mechanisms between Selenite and Selenate on Hanford Sediments” Presented in 6th
Washington Hydrogeology Symposium, Tacoma, WA, May 1-3, 2007.
13. Rod KA, W Um, and RJ Serne. 2007. “Unsaturated flow of Hanford tank waste leachate
effects on transport of Cs and Sr” Presented in 6th Washington Hydrogeology Symposium,
Tacoma, WA, May 1-3, 2007.
14. Um W, S Mattigod, RJ Serne, and LD Troyer. 2006. “Synthesis of nanoporous zirconium
oxophosphate and application for removal of U(VI)” Presented in 232nd ACS national
meeting, San Francisco, CA, September 10-14, 2006.
15. Rod KA, W Um, JR Serne. 2006. “Effect of Hanford Tank Waste leachate on radionuclide
transport through unsaturated sediment” Presented in AGU Fall meeting, San Francisco, CA,
December 11-15, 2006.
16. Um W and RJ Serne. 2005. “Iodide adsorption and transport at the Hanford Site, WA,
U.S.A.” Presented at the 15th Annual Goldschmidt Conference: A voyage of discovery
Moscow, Idaho, USA, May 20 – 25, 2005.
17. Um W, RJ Serne, and CF Brown. 2005. “Radionuclides sequestration on sediments”
Presented at the Pacifichem Conference: International chemical congress of pacific basin
societies, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, December 15 – 20, 2005.
1. Papelis C and W Um. 2001. “Anion and cation transport in zeolitized tuffs from the Nevada
Test Site” In Heavy Metals Release in Soils (ed. by HM Selim and DL Sparks), Chapter 2, pp.
31-54. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.